Saturday, July 24, 2010

Phone Number Fixer: The Glory and The Shame

A couple of months ago, I wrote a little Android app called Phone Number Fixer. I wrote this for my friend Maria, but decided to put it on the Android Market for free. Since then it has a decent number of downloads, around 1000, and had several good reviews. However, recently not only did its number of downloads jump up, but it started getting some poor reviews. The reason? The Samsung Galaxy S.

I have to admit that I had not been impressed with Samsung's previous efforts in the Android world. They seemed like decent "second-tier" phones. They were not in the same class with the Droid, Nexus One, or the MyTouch. Now the Galaxy S has come out, along with several other notable Android phones like the Evo, Droid X, and soon the Droid 2. I must admit to paying more attention to those phones than to the Galaxy S. However, it looks like Samsung has a winner on their hands.

The Galaxy S is available on both AT&T and T-Mobile. On AT&T it is known as the Captivate, and on T-Mobile it is known as the Vibrant. I think this is the first time that AT&T has carried a top-of-the-line Android phone, i.e. a phone that is a significant competitor to the iPhone. Of course we all know that the iPhone is coming to Verizon, so this should be no surprise (Big Red is getting the Galaxy S too, as is Sprint. Hey isn't that everybody in the US?)

Anyways, it seems like there are a lot of existing AT&T or T-Mobile users who are buying the Galaxy S. Of course they just want to take their SIM card from their existing phone (maybe even from their old iPhone?) and plop it into their new Android phone. That's when they run across the contacts-imported-from-SIM card problem that my little app can help fix. However, apparently there is something different about the Galaxy S. Not only is the phone immune to the power of the Phone Number Fixer, it even causes the app to hang and crash.

Unfortunately I do not have a Galaxy S of any sort, so I cannot test against it. I know the Fixer works fine with a Nexus One, Evo, G1, and a Droid, and I did not get any negative reviews until the Galaxy S. So I think there is something unique about this device. Once I get my hands on one, I will fix the problem. I am really curious to see what the cause of the problem is.

No comments: