Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Minimalism? Programming? Huh?

Last week, I was at the Strange Loop conference, and it was a great conference. It inspired one blog post that managed to piss some Clojure people off. So here is another. This time I'm going after the closing keynote, Alex Payne. Here are his slides, including detailed notes.
So where to begin... Even though I am going to harsh on this, I will give it very high marks. Why? Because it was thought provoking. If something makes you think long and hard about how and why you do your job, that is a good thing. I worry about people who do not question their assumptions on a regular basis.
Ok, so now on to what you've been waiting for -- the harshness. I hate software engineering analogies. Well, not all, but most. I hate when people try to romanticize about what they do by making a far-fetched analogy to something more glamorous. If you're a programmer, you're not a rock star. You're not an artist. You're not a musician. You're not even a scientist. Sorry. Despite having the word "architect" in my official job title, I would add that you're not an architect either.


You're a programmer. At best, you're an engineer, and that is really stretching it at times. So obviously if I find it ridiculous to compare programming to things like creating art or making music, it seems even more ridiculous to compare the output of programming to art or music.

That being said, I enjoy programming. It is not just a job. I also take pride in my work. I like to show off my code as much as the next guy.

From this perspective, I can definitely appreciate Alex's thoughts on minimalism. Or perhaps more generally, associating some subjective qualities with programming. If an analogy to art or construction or whatever helps one express those subjective qualities, then fine. Just don't forget who you are, and maybe even try to find some pride in just that.

Now I should really end this post now, on kind of a feel good note. But I won't. Instead, I want to touch on some of the *ahem* deeper thoughts that Alex's talk provoked. I was reminded of a paper I read several years ago that tried to explain two obviously overly general (and probably not politically correct) things: why Americans are good at software but not cars, while the Japanese are good at cars, but not software. I tried to find a link to this paper, and was quite sure that I had saved it in Delicious. However I could not find, and I'm convinced that Delicious lost it. Maybe it fell out of cache...

Anyways, the crux of the argument is that Americans are good at getting something done quickly, even though the quality may be poor. So we are good innovators, but terrible craftsmen. This is a good fit for software, but obviously not cars.

If you accept this idea, and it has its merits, then in a world of low quality, rapidly written code, is there any room for subjective qualities? Why should you take any pride in your work at all if its value is directly proportional to how quickly you can produce it, throw it away, and move on to something else? To some degree, doesn't the software world's affection with agile development codify these almost nihilistic ideals? Perhaps the propensity to try and compare programming to art is simply an act of desperation caused by the realization that you'd be better off giving up on good design and instead you should invest in duct-tape.

Anyways, this is a close-to-home topic for me. My day job often involves telling developers the "right" way to do something, and the more unsavory flip-side of this, telling developers when they've done things the "wrong" way. You don't make a lot of friends, but I'm an INTJ so it works for me. Every once in awhile, I work with a programmer who writes beautiful code. Yeah, I said it. Any such programmer knows that they write good code, even if they don't like to talk about it. When you write good code, you constantly see bad code around you, and you can't help but get a big ego. I always compliment the good code, and it always surprises the arrogant pricks. They think I'm blown away and have never seen such good code. In reality, I just feel sorry for them.

3 comments:

Pierre Menard said...

You don't really have a meaningful argument about the programming as ___ argument, do you? I think it is safe at this point to say that programming shares many features with science, art, craft, engineering, writing, and probably a few other things. It may not be a proper subset of any one, but reasoning by analogy is not a waste of time. The idea of abstraction by metaphor is central to our jobs.

Beyond that general point, I am a professional artist --New York "avant garde scene"-- and a professional programmer--financial services enterprise software scene. I can tell you for damn sure that they are very similar roles. Not identical, but very similar. I'd venture then, that people making comparisons to other roles may have some idea what they are talking about, whereas it does not seem that you do. But I guess this response proves that your flame-igniting post has worked.

Michael Easter said...

Hi, Michael. Though I think analogies have their place (i.e. rarely at work), I am a fan. ;-) It took me 6 weeks but I wrote out some thoughts over on Code To Joy.

I mentioned this post. However, I don't this as a flamewar thing ;-) Just a difference of opinion.

Unknown said...

We are a third party technical support service. Avast Customer Support is here to help you out with the whole procedure to Download Avast Antivirus online, We not only fix your Avast Support related issues but will guide with how to get started with your new Avast product once it gets installed successfully.We at Avast Tech Support provides service to protect your PC from potential online threats and external attacks like viruses, Trojans, malwares, spywares and phishing scams. And Avast Refund. Call on our Avast Phone Number.

Gmail Customer service is a third party technical support service for Gmail users when they face any technical issue or error in their Gmail account. Our Gmail Customer Support team solves issues like forgot Gmail account password, Gmail configuration or Sync issues, recover deleted emails and many more. Toll Free number (800) 986-9271
How you install or reinstall Office 365 or Office 2016 depends on whether your Office product is part of an Office for home or Office for business plan. If you're not sure what you have, see what office com setup products are included in each plan and then follow the steps for your product. The steps below also apply if you're installing a single, stand-alone Office application such as Access 2016 or Visio 2016. Need Help with office setup Enter Product Key? Call 1-800-000-0000 Toll Free
Norton Tech Support is a third party service provider and not in any way associated with Norton or any of its partner companies. We offer support for Norton products and sell subscription based additional warranty on computer and other peripheral devices. Call our Toll Free number 1 855 966 3855
Other Services