Friday, January 12, 2007

Review: Carnavas by Silversun Pickups


I found Carnavas as an Amazon recommendation. I've had a pretty good history with Amazon recommendations. The Amazon review mentioned influences from Smashing Pumpkins and Built to Spill -- both favorites of mine. So I was quick to give this a listen.

I was definitely reward as this is probably the best CD Amazon has recommended to me. It is an outstanding recording. Silversun Pickups have a very unique sound. It definitely has its roots in My Bloody Valentine, but is more melodic with more emotional vocals. But like My Bloody Valentine, Smashing Pumpkins, and Built to Spill, Silversun Pickups absolutely rock. Melodies, vocals, textures, etc. never get in the way of rocking out. It's probably more of a headphones CD than a big speakers CD, mostly from their loud-soft dynamics (did somebody mention Smashing Pumpkins?) but it's infectious rock however you listen to it.

No comments: