Sunday, August 31, 2008

Recent Other Writings

Last week, IBM published an article I wrote on using JRuby on Rails with Apache Derby. It concentrates on rapid prototyping/development. I didn't get too heavily into the IDE side of things, but when you add RadRails into the equation it really is nirvana-ish development. Very fun.

I've also been writing a lot on InformIT about Java Concurrency in Practice. I did some fun stuff over there too, like try to turn some Project Euler code into parallel code. I guess technically that succeeded just fine, but is a good example of when parallel code is not any faster. In this case, the algorithm was CPU bound anyways. Even having two cores didn't really help much. Oh well. I treated it like a strength exercise back when I took piano lessons.

No comments: